The Motability Scheme was set-up in 1977 and, over the subsequent 40 years, has helped more than four million disabled people to become more mobile and achieve greater independence.

What type of vehicle does my Motability allowance entitle me to?

In exchange for your mobility allowance, you can lease a car, scooter or powered wheelchair.

Is there an age limit?

If you are over 65, you can still join the Motability Scheme; the usual rules apply. Remember, even if you don’t wish to or can’t drive, you may nominate up to two people to do so on your behalf.

What’s the best way to find a suitable Motability car?

At Gates Ford, we will go through a Motability Suitability Questionnaire with you. Taking into account your circumstances and requirements, we can match you with your ideal Motability car.

If adaptations are made to my vehicle, how much do they cost?

Many of the most widely requested adaptations are supplied free of charge but for full details please refer to Motability Scheme’s adaptation price list.

What is covered by RSA Motability insurance?

  • Loss or damage to your vehicle (including damage caused by fire, theft or accidents)
  • Repair or replacement of glass
  • Any equipment that is permanently fitted or was supplied as standard (such as accessories, tools or a sound system)
  • Any necessary adaptations that have been agreed by the Motability Scheme and which RSA has prior knowledge of
  • Lock replacement as a result of key theft (provided the crime has been reported to the police)
  • Travelling to and from your usual workplace
  • Driving your vehicle for charitable work purposes, as long as your aren’t in receipt of regular payment by the relevant organisation

And what – or who – isn’t covered?

  • Any excesses, which usually amount to £100. Your age and experience will be a factor in determining the sum. An excess fee of £50 is required if your vehicle’s windscreen needs to be replaced entirely. In most cases, excesses are required to be paid before work commences.
  • If you lose your keys, you will need to pay for replacements (and new locks if they are required to be replaced)
  • Personal possessions
  • Damage to the car’s interior that isn’t deemed reasonable wear and tear – drink stains or cigarette burns, for instance
  • Any other vehicle that hasn’t been approved by or provided by RSA or Motability
  • Anyone who’s name does not appear on your Certificate of Motor Insurance
  • Anyone who is not insured to drive

When will I receive my vehicle?

It will depend on the model that you’ve ordered. We will provide you with an estimated delivery time, which we are usually always able to stick to, unless events beyond our control dictate otherwise.

Do I need to collect it?

Yes, unless you have an appointee, who is typically a family member assigned by Veterans UK or the Department for Work and Pensions. Otherwise, you will need to be there because you’ll be entering into a legal agreement. You will also need to enter your PIN, which is provided with your customer acceptance letter and which only you and/or your appointee should know.

What happens when the lease ends?

You will have three options. You can:

  • return the vehicle and recommence receipt of your Motability allowance
  • keep using the vehicle
  • lease a different vehicle via the scheme (for use over the following three years)

Get in touch

Hopefully we have answered most, if not all, of your questions about the Motability Scheme. However, if you do require further information, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with your nearest Gates Ford dealership. The easiest way to do so is by completing our online contact form, which you can do so any time you wish.