As Britain found itself at War once again, Gates Corner was requisitioned, converted into a meat store and the rear workshops used as an Auxiliary Fire Service Station. All garage activities were now transferred to premises which by that time had been acquired in Chigwell Road. The company operated through here until peace came once more to Europe some six years later. Slowly, despite rationing and shortages, business started to return to normal. Many Gates’ staff who had served with The Forces, returned to their normal jobs and life in the grey 40’s gave way to the promise of the 1950’s.